Reviewed By: Joseph F on 12/18/2010
Rating: [5 of 5 Stars!]
I've had this kit for a few months now, and have really enjoyed it. Used it fairly successfully at a Steel Challenge match a few weeks ago, worked really well, ended up 5th in the RFC class.
- Accuracy: I've long been happy with the Neos Carbine's ability to put all the rounds through the same hole at 25 yards or less, but have been wanting to try it at some longer ranges. Finally had some time to get it out at the 100 meter range, and it really surprised me, when the wind calmed down enough, I was getting pretty consistent 2-3" 10 shot groups at 100 meters, and about 1" groups at 50.
- Ammo: I've put a bunch of different ammo through it, some worked really well (CCI's Mini-Mag), some not as well (Remington Thunderbolt). Aguila Match Rifle works well too, but can be a little harder to find. After much experimentation, I've settled on CCI's Mini-Mag, they seem to burn cleaner and are plenty accurate. I put about 300 rounds of Mini-Mag through the carbine this morning, and had one failure to fire (though it fired on a second try), and 2 jams, likely due to the rounds getting a little stuck in the magazines.
- Price: For the same price, you can pick up a new Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 795, though I don't know if they'd shoot as well as the Neos Carbine without some after-market mods.
- Lenth of Pull: I have fairly long arms, and for me at least, the length of pull is too short. Beretta has said they're going to be releasing some inserts to extend the length of pull, but given how long it took the kit itself to come to market... Let's just say I'm looking for an alternative solution.
- Eye Protection: It's really important to wear some decent shooting glasses when shooting the carbine (you should be regardless though, right?), depending on ammo, you can get quote a bit of powder coming out as the slide starts opening. As a pistol, it doesn't matter, since your eyes are further away, but as a carbine, I ended up getting some of the powder into my eyes with standard safety glasses. Get some good close-fitting shooting glasses and you should be fine.
Overall, a great addition if you already have a Neos. If you can afford one, and are interested in giving your Neos some more versatility, you should definitely pick one up.
Regarding Budd's Gun Shop: Got exactly what i expect from an online e-tailer. A good price and no problems. Will definitely be ordering from here again.
Display Product Review on Full Page